Follow us
  >    >  Relocation Attorney

West Palm Beach Relocation Attorney

Need a relocation attorney? Experience matters.

If you need an experienced relocation attorney in West Palm Beach contact Stephen Winig.

Relocation after Divorce

After a divorce, the custodial parent may decide to relocate to another state. This may cause issues with the current child time-sharing plan, or parenting plan, as it makes it very difficult for the other parent to spend time with their child, creating an unfair and unhealthy situation for the children involved.

There are many elements to consider regarding the relocation process and its effect on your children. Details of the new proposed child custody arrangement and several other factors include: the reason for the move, how the move will improve or harm the quality of life of the children, how it will affect the children’s relationship with the other parent, and whether alternate timesharing arrangements are feasible.

What is Relocation?

Relocation is a change in the location of the principal residence of a parent or other person from his or her principal place of residence at the time of the last order establishing or modifying time-sharing, or at the time of filing the pending action to establish or modify time-sharing.

The change of location must be at least 50 miles from that residence, and for at least 60 consecutive days not including a temporary absence from the principal residence for purposes of vacation, education, or the provision of health care for the child.

How can I relocate with my minor child(ren)?

Pursuant to Florida Statute 61.13001, unless the parties can agree in writing, the party seeking relocation must file a petition with the Court.

There are many elements to take into consideration regarding the process of relocation and its effect on your children. Contact West Palm Beach Family Attorney Steve Winig today to help you achieve the best outcome possible in your relocation case.

This situation requires court approval if the relocation is over 50 miles away from their residence at the time of the establishment of the original child custody order. The other parent must write an agreement permitting the parent to relocate, which the court must endorse.

However, if the other parent does not approve of the move, it is much more difficult to get court approval for the relocation. We at Winig Law can help with your child relocation case, and help achieve the best outcome for both you and your children.


Every Person Who Walks Through Our Door Is Important To Us.

Stephen Winig family attorney collage of family photos for his website.

A Family Attorney You Can Trust

Stephen L. Winig, Esq. has been a family attorney in West Palm Beach and surrounding areas for forty years. He takes pride in the fact that Winig Law is, in every sense of the phrase, a “family practice.” Everyone walking through our door is afforded the same respect, fairness, and consideration as a trusted relative.

We know how delicate and deeply personal Family Law and Divorce issues are to our clients. We are honored you chose to turn to us.